Support Groups and Programs
Many patients find that attending support group meetings helps them to more effectively cope with their cancer. There are several support programs in the Corpus Christi area, some of which are:
- Look Good…Feel Better – is an American Cancer Society group that helps women deal with the appearance related side effects of cancer treatment. In a group session led by a trained local cosmetologist, women learn about cancer skin and nail care, as well as about wigs and scarves. Each woman receives a complementary tote of full-sized make-up and a wig fitting. Ask at our office about the next session, they are usually held monthly.
- Man to Man – is an American Cancer Society education and support group for prostate cancer survivors and their significant others. Held on the second Thursday of each month at our office at 5.30; Man to Man also has a program speaker with a question/answer period to follow.
- Reach to Recovery – is an American Cancer Society program that provides one-on-one support to newly diagnosed breast cancer patients. Reach volunteers are specially trained breast cancer survivors themselves, so they are more able to understand the needs of a breast cancer patient. An appointment can be scheduled with a reach volunteer by contacting the American Cancer Society at 857.0134.
- Our Women’s Support Group, held in conjunction with the Junior League of Corpus Christi, provides general support and education to women fighting any type of cancer. The group meets on the third Thursday of the month at our office at 5.30.
- H2U (Health Happiness You) is an HCA Healthcare program that provides a variety of support groups, educational and exercise programs and activities for people who are over the age of 50. H2U membership is $15/year – most of the programs and activities are free to members.
- St. Peregrine Mass for the Sick is held on the first Sunday of every month at 4.00 at Our Lady of Corpus Christi church, 1200 Lantana An additional support group may be found at your computer: The Cancer Survivors Network of the American Cancer Society is an online community of cancer survivors, caregivers and friends who offer each other support. You can register by your type of cancer, which may provide you with more support than you could have received locally, especially if you have an uncommon type of cancer.
Also check our monthly calendar for special events and guest speakers.